If you do not understand racism (white supremacy) and how it works, everything else you understand will only confuse you. - Neely Fuller

We need something to clarify everything for us, because we get confused...but if we use the concept of Asili, we will understand that whatever it is they are doing, whatever terms they use, however they come at you, you need to be thinking about what? How is this going to facilitate their power and help them to dominate me? -Marimba Ani

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Personal Growth is Seeking, Reaching, Seeking...


Reposted with permission from CRPS/RSD, A Better Life: A blog by a sufferer of chronic pain. From my perspective, it is also for anyone genuinely interested in life itself and the things that connect us.


This Karen Ravn quote holds true for people with chronic pain.

"Only as high as I reach can I grow, only as far as I seek can I go, only as deep as I look can I see, only as much as I dream can I be."
Life, as they say, is not a rehearsal. We get one go at it. The choices we make direct our path in life. I choose happiness.

Laughter triggers the release of endorphins, the body's natural pain killers, and produces a general sense of well-being. The threshold of pain is raised during and for a short period of time after laughter.

Laughter also engages various parts of the brain. Perhaps this is one reason people often find that a good dose of laughter can be followed by a burst of creativity.

We know that by making positive affirmations pain perception can be reduced by up to an amazing two thirds.
(Conversely, you can actually increase pain perception by focusing on negative aspects and fearing your pain.)

These findings make perfect sense to me. I know when I talk about how I'm feeling, I feel worse. When I'm having fun I feel better. Now I know I can actually change the inputs which bring about a change in the brain, I'll be more aware of how I think and feel. I'll also be dedicating more time to "actively seeking happiness" and strive to see "the glass half full."

I encourage you to expand your knowledge, reach to grow. Only by seeking information can you go forward. By looking, the way will become clear. I encourage you to dare to dream of a better life. "As much as I dream can I be".

Only seekers reach and only reachers seek. --Usiku

Two Steps:
1.Ask more questions of others, of yourself and of the Spirit.
2.Affirm the person you want to be and the things you want to accomplish within the first few minutes of waking each day. Do this before you get busy. Make it an enriching part of your routine by making this affirmation in bed or in the lavatory.


Two Questions:
1.Is reaching as high as you can the same as perfectionism?
2.What is the bigger problem: Not knowing or worrying about what we know?


Technorati Tags:
, , , ,