If you do not understand racism (white supremacy) and how it works, everything else you understand will only confuse you. - Neely Fuller

We need something to clarify everything for us, because we get confused...but if we use the concept of Asili, we will understand that whatever it is they are doing, whatever terms they use, however they come at you, you need to be thinking about what? How is this going to facilitate their power and help them to dominate me? -Marimba Ani

Monday, March 2, 2009

Torture Chambers, Freedom & Obligation


Here's another perspective from Allafrica.com.

EthioBlog reports on the release of Binyam Mohammed who was finally released from Guantanamo Bay and allowed to return to the UK.

I have been through an experience that I never thought to encounter in my darkest nightmares. Before this ordeal, "torture" was an abstract word to me. I could never have imagined that I would be its victim.

It is still difficult for me to believe that I was abducted, hauled from one country to the next, and tortured in medieval ways -- all orchestrated by the United States government.

"While I want to recover, and put it all as far in my past as I can, I also know I have an obligation to the people who still remain in those torture chambers."

From Usiku: There are several similarities to be drawn from this for life in general and for me specifically but for now, is sufficient to know that clearly there are far worse things that take place than losing a job. The sad part is this. Many of us live our lives in self-imposed torture chambers. Those chambers we could walk away from whenever we get ready to but don't. Some of us would rather be in jail and stay on the plantation, nuff said.

To shadow Binyam Mohammed's thoughts, before we experience an event, it is nothing more than an abstract thing. So no matter how much sympathy we have we are limited in our understanding. Even our empathy is limited due to the varying nature of our collective experiences.

This blog and this book address a way out by going back to the beginning and the basics and simplify our way to satisfaction.

Much has been given to me in my lifetime, therefore my responsibility is great. In the small and grand scheme of things, I feel I have been spared and am therefore obligated. If anything has changed over the past few days it's that the responsibility has become even greater.

My pressing desire is to fully recover my direction. There is no time to waste for anyone to do what needs to be done. This reminds me of Dr. King's book, “Why We Can't Wait,” written over 40 years ago. My safari has begun anew and you may find me at the Marathon on 95th two blocks east of Stony or the Citgo at 75th & Yates or eating Jerk Chicken someplace but you will always find me somewhere along your own path. In all places I'll be either stocking or stocking up.

Technorati Tags:
, , , ,