If you do not understand racism (white supremacy) and how it works, everything else you understand will only confuse you. - Neely Fuller

We need something to clarify everything for us, because we get confused...but if we use the concept of Asili, we will understand that whatever it is they are doing, whatever terms they use, however they come at you, you need to be thinking about what? How is this going to facilitate their power and help them to dominate me? -Marimba Ani

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Eat Okra Uncooked Not Raw

Food Fight #25

Food is only raw if it must be cooked.

Okra, uncooked, is a tasty delight. Same is true for many uncooked vegetables. Okra is misunderstood, avoided and abused just because it produces a thick substance when cooked certain ways that causes many to perceive okra as “gross.”

The solution: Don't cook it. The freshest okra, that from the garden and eaten as is within ten minutes of picking, has a milder okra flavor than the cooked version. Like many fresh vegetables, there is also a hint of sweetness.

We usually don't automatically cook fruit but are way too quick to cook vegetables. Pick a little Kale, Brussels Sprout Leaves, Sugar Snap Peas, Tomatoes, Carrots, Lemon Balm, Basil and Oregano and you have a true garden salad that all you have to do is bite into. Eating food this way is more enjoyable on every level when I grow it myself and am eating it right in the garden or in my Al fresco lounge.

The less we do to food the better. I love the satisfaction of taking care of my health each time I eat food in its freshest, most natural state.

With grass growing under our feet, my son and I admired the okra he planted and just harvested. He took a tentative but brave bite after watching me relish the first one. There was a slight nod after three seconds of chewing followed by an expression which seemed to say, “Okra, who knew?”

Related post:
Food Fight 5: Raw v Cooked Undercard