If you do not understand racism (white supremacy) and how it works, everything else you understand will only confuse you. - Neely Fuller

We need something to clarify everything for us, because we get confused...but if we use the concept of Asili, we will understand that whatever it is they are doing, whatever terms they use, however they come at you, you need to be thinking about what? How is this going to facilitate their power and help them to dominate me? -Marimba Ani

Sunday, September 30, 2007

I'm Not Holding My Breath


Having no expectations is a sure way to accomplish, have and experience a whole bunch of something yet nothing worthwhile. I try to avoid this truth in every area of my life. Expectations are my baseline for being. They are the standards and goals that give me control over the things I can.

My expectations are the result of internal question and answer sessions. Even with expectations in place, no matter what I do it will always be less than I’m capable of. (And even though Tiger Woods is the best, he could be better.) Imperfections breed inconsistencies. How much more should I have accomplished. How much of the good in me have I wasted being not as good as I should and by doing what, for what?

Though I’m happy for those who achieve their aim, I’m happier for myself because I can glean things for my own dreams. Doing so has helped me realize the only time the accomplishments of others seem like feats is when I am not being brave for myself. I now know the brave live full lives no matter what, so much so that half a brave life is inconceivable to most. What kind of bravery does it take to believe you can fly and then do it? Is it the stuff of titans and superhumans? Not at all, only the imperfect are great; therefore, I must stop holding my breath when others are simply doing their best on purpose and take deep breaths plus giant steps for myself.

I asked myself am I capable, do I have what it takes, can I handle this? How does an imperfect person attain their greatness? I asked many times not realizing this was not about my ability but about doubt and my low expectation of the reservoir within. The answer came calmly as always, “Just know the Spirit is immeasurable. Nothing can stop you because nothing can stop me.” Next, the forever giving nature said, “Let’s work together on this.” After that, silence. And then its final answer exceeded my expectations: “It takes the same amount of bravery to fly as it did for you to breathe your first breath not knowing you could or for how long. Yet, you continue because you must.”

Technorati Tags:
, , , ,