If you do not understand racism (white supremacy) and how it works, everything else you understand will only confuse you. - Neely Fuller

We need something to clarify everything for us, because we get confused...but if we use the concept of Asili, we will understand that whatever it is they are doing, whatever terms they use, however they come at you, you need to be thinking about what? How is this going to facilitate their power and help them to dominate me? -Marimba Ani

Monday, October 13, 2014

Unity Consciousness #5 | Seeking Understanding Honors Maat

Unity Consciousness #1 explains the importance of understanding. I return to this subject to review it and study it further to enhance my understanding of understanding.

Learning Comes Before Understanding

Just because understanding is the first part of Maat doesn't mean understanding is the first thing that happens when I encounter information. No, it isn't. Taking in information and studying must come first. Understanding often doesn't come right away; especially by simply looking, hearing, reading, thinking, feeling and waiting.

Understanding does not mean information I take in now is the information I am understanding now. Understanding requires continuous learning. Even if I am understanding something right away, it is due to what I had already begun to understand.

The Moral Of The Short Story

In the same way I must not focus on the finished meal while preparing the meal, I must not overly concern myself with understanding. Being aware understanding comes throughout the process is sufficient. Understanding will naturally occur if I continue to take in information and study. All bits and pieces of understanding from various areas of knowledge are useful in bringing forth understanding in any area.

For Now I Am Understanding

It would be nice if I could get understanding all at once, but this is not a realistic expectation nor something to be desired. The benefits come from going through the process, not from simply getting from not understanding to understanding. In fact, just wanting someone to supply an answer is a sure way to not know or begin understanding something. This is why I have had answers and didn't use them properly and still have some left on the shelf. Because the answer did not come through effort, it did not come with understanding nor did it come with significance. This must be acquired individually with guidance collectively. No one can pass it on to another person. If I simply am given an answer that I did not go through the process to acquire, then all I have is information. Giving me an answer, though it seems efficient, is only sufficient to leave me deficient in understanding, growth and development. Giving me an answer is a sure way to move me backwards from not understanding to thinking I understand which misleads me away from seeking. If I am told an answer, I must follow it up with the same thought process as if I did not have the answer. Going through the process will reinforce the answer. It will also serve as a double-check and confirmation to see if I arrive at the same answer. Doing this also helps the one, who with good intentions, was kind enough to provide the answer. As each person goes through the process, the opportunity for mistakes in the process to remain hidden are decreased. This helps the universe, thus I am helping the Creator. This must be so in accordance with Maat and since the Creator is interrelated in all things.

If I keep asking for answers, I am asking someone to feed me – something I can do myself. Therefore, I must quit seeking answers and seek processes. As Sister Marimba Ani tells me, "the process of learning is most important. The way I learn affects me deeply.” (1)

For Now I Am Understanding More About The Creator

Even the creation of the universe did not happen all at once. It happened as a process in stages. The Creator didn't create once and stop. The Creator didn't create for one week and stop. The Creator is creating right now because the Creator is still alive and experiencing the universe and expanding in understanding. The Creator is not sitting around waiting for us to get there or send up some prayers.

If I am to be as the Creator someday and be with the Creator always, I must do as the Creator always - seek understanding.

Seeking Understanding From Now On

Since there is no such thing as being finished with understanding, there is no such thing as “now I understand.” The only thing that exists is I understand, “for now” or I am understanding. Since I am understanding in part and knowing in part, I must seek understanding along with understanding the process of understanding. I must do so until I have made it through the last stage – if there is such a thing.

Notes

(1) The importance of processes is becoming clearer. I am now realizing, with ever-increasing clarity, the meaning of two often repeated sayings. One is about life not being a destination, it's how you get there. Another saying about giving someone a fish versus teaching them how to fish. Both are about the process. I didn't understand them then, as much as I am beginning to now. Processes are helping me understand a few more things such as: where in life “there” is, how to get there, who my teachers are and how to fish.