If you do not understand racism (white supremacy) and how it works, everything else you understand will only confuse you. - Neely Fuller

We need something to clarify everything for us, because we get confused...but if we use the concept of Asili, we will understand that whatever it is they are doing, whatever terms they use, however they come at you, you need to be thinking about what? How is this going to facilitate their power and help them to dominate me? -Marimba Ani

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Breast Cancer Awareness Poem



October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.


I & WE ARE STRONG by Usiku

I have breast cancer
she said to the world
courageously sharing private pain
voice breaking at the meaning and sound
another step further on uncertain ground
another gift of service to tell us
you can feel fine and still have cancer
early detection is the answer.


I feel strong
I feel strong
as tears pool and spill gracefully
sometimes emotions build suddenly
then she shaved her head
fists raised making triumph her own
singing this beautiful affirming song
I am not my hair
but what works for you
is your choice alone.


I realize I could die
from this cancer in my breast
but I also recognize
everyone's journey includes some test
making it through months of treatment
with music, laughter and silence
and especially faith, family and friends
allowing her inner beauty to ascend.


I am in control
healthier now
and much more life aware
hoping to help someone somewhere
continuing onward in this new beginning
honoring lives taken and touched by cancer
remembering the important things
because life is good
and I am strong
because we are strong.

Technorati Tags:
, , , ,

Related:
Health Information Simplification, Nutrition, Sunlight, Iron Deficiency & Comprehensive Approach Context And So Continues The Meaning Of Life & Existence (Part 7b)
Our Fatal Flaw – The Absence of Harmony. The Root Cause Of Many Problems
Sweet Corn, Neonicotinoids, Allergies, Informed Consent, Occupy Movement & Patriotism
Crime Defense 101: Inherent Rights - Doing The Right Thing