If you do not understand racism (white supremacy) and how it works, everything else you understand will only confuse you. - Neely Fuller

We need something to clarify everything for us, because we get confused...but if we use the concept of Asili, we will understand that whatever it is they are doing, whatever terms they use, however they come at you, you need to be thinking about what? How is this going to facilitate their power and help them to dominate me? -Marimba Ani

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Self-Control, Self-Determination | They Threw The Books At Me So I Threw Too

Imprisoned Then Booked

Shortly after I learned the local vernacular I began a lengthy incarceration. DNA prevalence gave me away. Can't have none of that Divine Natural Advantage run wild and free. I suspect it also had a lot to do with an inherited instinct for reading periods as question marks and sensing that synonyms for nonsense filled the great national divide between belief in word and belief in deed.

Before I could turn around and even before I had to go to a classroom, they threw books at me. I recognized the sound from the ones that hit me in the womb, the generational echo chamber. The shock waves from the concussion cut into the timing of my people's percussion.

Each book contained the kind of stories, if I had told them, I would have gotten a whooping. The stories, woven lies, stung like lashes sentence by sentence and made more than my head ache. Though I dared not yell, the Constitution hurt like hell and I still get daily bites from the Bill of Rights. Only natural law is on my side. When I was into trivial pursuits, I kept slipping on them as I tried to cross the divide and rise from the crevasse back to familial ground.

Whenever the text asked a question, the text answered it. I didn't stand a chance against cooked books filled with recipes for mis-education. It was my punishment to sit, listen, read, recite and try to live like everything's alright. Information was presented as the irrefutable writings on the walls. This, even as the ice castles melted. I instinctively tensed and my hands fell into the indents of previous fingerprints. Silenced youth placed themselves in my hands.

I carried them easily mitochondrially yet labored with worldview philosophies that seemed to be milled from frozen sandstone.

This punishment lasted until my late teens, yet I volunteered for more mis-education because the illusion had leapt from the pages or perhaps it was the other way around.

Booked Again And Again Breaking Free

Now many suns and moons later, son and daughter have given me combined day and night vision. I realize, just as an athlete serious about getting better must become a student of the game, if I am serious about getting better I must become a student of life. In order to find that “better place” I must search for it in all the places it was originally and still should be – especially spiritually and in the rest of the natural world.

One of several tools I must use is reading books and articles that are specifically aimed at helping me learnderstand.

Since books were used to straight knock me out of perfect spiral, I used different books to re-twist back into alignment with my DNA. I threw myself at books and read many texts by authors unlike those before.

To throw books at myself is to introduce what frees all from prisons - self-determination through self-education. If I don't determine what I want to read and if I don't study what supports my emotional, mental, spiritual and physical needs, then I am allowing someone else to determine it for me. It is this way. If I don't take control of my own education, I will continue to be imprisoned by what I had no choice but to learn. If I don't take charge of seeking what I need to read, I will only read what is offered up in a daily soup of media and entertainment goop. I will sacrifice the spiral for the viral.

Reading that requires thought and further reading and discussion is one of the most avoided self-determination resources. I throw books at myself to expand so even foolbooks on launching pads can't reach me and no prison, not even those issuing caps and gowns, can contain me. I throw books at myself for those whose hands never touched the opportunity yet rescued me.

Nakupenda jamaa.

History Poem | Education Rights To An Honorary Doctorate Edumacation
Expanded Definitions: Prehistory & Prehistoric Context And So Continues The Meaning Of Life & Existence (Part 3)
Study Perspectives: Later Stone Age, Upper Paleolithic & Hate Crime Context And So Continues The Meaning Of Life & Existence (Part 5)
Poetry Included: Right By Default of My Own